Gaithersburg: 301-670-7030
Baltimore: 410-769-5400
Frederick: 301-668-2100
Contact Us For Legal Help

Auto Accident Blog

Dear Maryland, Please May I Sue You? Or, Rex Non Potest Peccare

Monday, October 07, 2013
Dear Maryland, Please May I Sue You? Or, Rex Non Potest Peccare

Believe it or not, the only reason you can sue the State of Maryland, its counties, or other governmental entities is because the State of Maryland allows it? It is true; the concept arises from when the U.S. was part of England. The legal concept, and of course the latin, is Rex non potest peccare, which translates to, “The King can do no wrong.” In England at the time of King George III and his predecessors to the throne, you could not sue the King.

When the United States was formed and we didn’t start our legal system from scratch, we incorporated laws and concepts we brought with us from England. The inability to sue the King is called sovereign immunity, and it persists today in several forms. First, you cannot sue the State for a purely governmental function. If you feel that you have been wronged by an action of the State, but it is simply the result of how the government works, you cannot sue. Second, for a tort (negligence, battery, assault, wrongful imprisonment, etc.), you can only sue if you place the State on notice within one year of your injury. This notice requirement is strict and requires a certified letter to the treasurer with specific information. If you fail to not only place the treasurer on notice, but fail to do it properly, you will be forever barred from suing the State. Finally, there is a cap. No matter how bad your injuries, in a tort claim, you cannot recover over the cap. Similar to tort claims, you can only bring a claim against the State in contract if you file your lawsuit within one year of the breach. Although the State will allow you to sue it, it places limits, and it protects itself. In a sense, it can do some wrong, but not too much.

Similar to the tort claims against the State, there are limitations in tort claims against local governments. Local governments include the Counties, cities, WSSC, National Capital Park and Planning, and many other entities. Again, like the State, there is a designee to whom you must send notice, only with a local government, you only have 180 days to place the proper designee on notice. If you fail to place the proper person on notice within the proper time, you can never sue.

One might think that in a democratic society, we have abandoned the constraints of the monarchy, but sovereign immunity remains. You can sue the State or the local governments, but only if they let you.

By Craig I. Meyers, Esq.

Recent Posts




What Our Clients Say

Known for our unwavering commitment to clients, for our integrity, and for delivering the best results, our clients continue to refer their friends, families and neighbors to us for their legal needs.

"One year ago today I made the call to your office. The best decision I could make. I wanted to share with you how impressed I am with your staff and your professionalism."

Heather P.

"Craig did a great job representing me! He's the lawyer I have trusted with my legal needs because he's professional, knowledgeable, and keeps me informed about my case."

Jaclyn K.

" wanted to thank you, in writing, for your kindness and prompt response. Customer service is a dying art, and you gave me hope for my family."


"I would like to express my gratitude for your efforts and dedication for my disability case. It's has been quite a long and upsetting process but you have handled my case in an extremely competent and responsible manner."

Leo H.

"I have recommended Mr. Feldman to several of my friends and colleagues and have heard nothing but excellent reviews. He is the best lawyer I have ever used."


"I received the check today. I could not believe it until I saw the check. Thank you so much. You have improved my family's quality of life tenfold."

Mike F.

"These guys go above and beyond! They always have your best interest in mind."

Mike W.

"I would like to express my thanks to Amanda Knott and Gretchen Rogers for their patience with me through my ordeal with my workers comp claim. I was impressed from the very beginning when I spoke with G. Rogers on the phone and although she did not have to, she met with me personally and walked me through the steps of what to expect in this process."

Mr Sagal

"You have been kind throughout this process and I appreciate your professionalism as well as your gentle concern. Thanks for helping us and all the others who need your legal expertise. We are grateful."

Nancy F.

"Thanks to Mr. Shultz's aggressive and professional work ethic style I was able to receive the medical services and compensation pertaining to my case."

Navdeep C.

"I can honestly say this firm is simply TOP NOTCH! They not only have handled countless cases for my members that require their services, they also have gone well beyond their "scope" to help some of my folks in other areas of need. "

Rick H.

"I wanted to compliment your law firm on having Amanda Knott as a paralegal. She worked tirelessly for almost 2 years making sure I understood what was happening and at the same time keeping all my records straight and in order, which allowed Gretchen Rogers to represent me in the best way possibl"

Terrye G

"The attention and professional care the staff has taken toward my needs has always been excellent. I have no complaints nor worries that my issues discussed are not addressed."

Tim T.

"I just got off the phone with Craig and let him know how thankful we are to you, him and Ken for all your efforts – you are all really terrific to work with!"

Val K.

Locations Throughout Maryland & Washington DC

Gaithersburg Office

481 N. Frederick Avenue, Suite 300
Gaithersburg, MD 20877
301-670-7030 / 800-248-3352
Fax: 301-670-9492

Lutherville Office

1301 York Road, Suite 600
Lutherville, MD 21093
410-769-5400 / 800-248-3352
Fax: 410-769-9200

Frederick Office

30 W. Patrick Street, Suite 105
Frederick, MD 21701
301-668-2100 / 800-827-2667
Fax: 301-668-2000