When people hear the word “estate”, they think of millionaires and billionaires. The notion that only wealthy individuals have estates is not accurate. To have an estate, an individual must simply have an ownership interest in property. Thus, your car, home, bank accounts, retirement accounts, artwork, home furnishings, any trusts you are a beneficiary of, and the like are all considered your property and are included in your estate. If you choose not to create a unique customized estate plan or simply feel you do not need a plan because “you do not own very much”, you need to be aware that the state will direct distribution of your assets in accordance with statute rather than your wishes.
To this end, creating an estate plan is very important regardless of the value of your assets. There are many complex factors to consider when creating an estate plan that can include everything from planning for minor children, planning for a special needs child, owning a business, potential tax concerns, to avoiding probate or addressing potential conflicts among your intended beneficiaries. The attorneys of Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP are compassionate to your individual challenges and concerns and will work with you to develop a customized estate plan designed to meet your individual needs.
Our attorneys understand that no two estate plans are alike. Our firm has the skill and knowledge to provide innovative strategies that address the concerns and needs for all types of clients, including:
- Couples with minor children
- Business Owners
- High net-worth individuals
- Blended Families
- Same-sex Couples
- Families with special needs and elder care concerns
The attorneys of Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP provide you with:
- Client centered service – Our attorneys’ objectives are serving you and providing you with the personal attention necessary to achieve your goals. No estate plan is the same, and as such, every estate-planning document is tailored to your individual needs to help you and your family minimize any uncertainties and potential conflicts.
- Ongoing Counseling – Our attorneys will provide you with counsel at all stages of your life, from establishing your estate plan to the administration of your estate. We hope to be your estate-planning attorney for life and are readily available to address any concerns, as well as, your family’s concerns with regard to assistance with estate administration upon your death.
- Innovative solutions – Our attorneys consult with you to carefully analyze your goals and concerns, posing critical questions and offering advice and guidance on the options available to you to achieve your ultimate goals and resolve any issues or concerns surrounding those goals.
If you or a family member is in need of estate planning assistance, we provide guidance and solutions through a number of options and alternatives that may be available to achieving your ultimate goals. The attorneys of Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP work with clients on a wide array of situations and circumstances that may involve the following matters:
- Wills, trusts, and other estate planning alternatives
- Business Succession Planning
- Special Needs Planning
- Tax Planning
- Asset Protection
- Fiduciary Services
- Charitable and Foundation Planning
- Guardianship/ Conservatorship
- Elder Law
Contact our Estate Planning Attorneys
If you or a relative need an attorney for estate planning matters, please contact the attorneys at Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP. Our attorneys offer a complimentary initial consultation. We represent clients throughout the state of Maryland and Washington, D.C. Our firm can be reached by phone at 301-670-7030, by email, or by completing the inquiry form on our Contact page.
For additional information, please visit our blog, Wills For Working Families.