Baltimore Bicycle Accident Attorney
Whether you choose to commute by bike, ride for exercise, or throw your leg over the saddle for a group ride every Saturday, you have many of the same rights to the road as drivers. Sadly, most drivers do not see it that way, and even worse—city planners spend very little time, money, and energy on ensuring that cyclists have safe, convenient infrastructure. Combined with distracted, and often enraged drivers, cycling injuries are on the rise. Here at Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP our Baltimore bicycle accident attorneys hold negligent drivers accountable, and can help you recover from your traumatic experience by ensuring that your medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering are compensated for.
Five Most Common Causes of Bicycle Collisions Involving Cars
- Right Hook—A vehicle traveling in the same direction fails to yield and makes a right turn in front of the cyclist;
- Hit From Behind—A distracted, speeding, sleeping, or intoxicated driver runs into the cyclist from behind. This can also be caused by trying to pass in an unsafe corner, without enough room to give the cyclist at least three feet of space (drivers must allow at least three feet of space when passing cyclists, as per Maryland Law);
- Vehicle Fails to Yield From Side Street—The driver pulls out from a side street in front of the cyclist, violating his or her right of way;
- Left Turning Vehicle Fails to Yield—A driver makes a left turn in front of a cyclist going the opposite direction, violating the cyclist’s right of way; and
- Intentionally Run Off the Road or Intentionally Harassed/Hit—Road rage against cyclists is at an all time high, according to NPR. There are a half dozen ways in which road raged drivers intimidate cyclists and cause a crash, or intentionally cause cyclists to crash. These include:
- Slamming the brakes on—The driver comes around the cyclist and abruptly brakes. The cyclist is forced to ride into oncoming traffic, crash off the road, or crash into the rear window or pickup bed of the vehicle;
- Buzzing/startling/pushing off the roadway—The driver comes so close that the cyclist is pushed off the road, or the vehicles slams into the side of the cyclist, causing a crash that is likely to result in death if the cyclist falls under the wheels of the vehicle ;
- The driver intentionally rear-ends the cyclist from behind; and
- The car occupant throws an object, such as a beer bottle or rock, at the cyclist as the vehicle passes the cyclist.
Call Our Baltimore Bike Crash Attorneys Today
As the victim of a bike crash, the negligent driver likely owes you considerable financial compensation. Bike vs. car crashes often leave cyclists with extreme injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, extensive road rash, traumatic brain injuries, and PTSD. We can help you seek justice by filing a personal injury claim against the aggressive or distracted driver. Call our Baltimore bike collision attorneys at Berman, Sobin, Gross, Feldman & Darby LLP today at 800-248-3352 to schedule a free consultation.